Who doesn’t love free cash? I’ve tried all sorts in the past, to bag a couple of extra quid. If it’s there for the taking, then why not? Obviously some things are too good to be true, but below you’ll find an overview of the routes to free money in the UK and they’re all worth pursuing.
This is free money for UK people only.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Download the app using this link
- Enter your details. It will probably ask for your National Insurance number. Don’t panic if it does. This is totally normal practice. The site does this to prove that you’re a UK resident
- Go to the orange ‘investing’ section of the app. This is super important. You need to ensure you’re in this section, because if you’re in one of the others, you won’t get your free share
- Deposit £1
- You will be given a free share within a couple of days. This part is a bit of a lottery. You could end up with a share worth between £7 and £8 (Under Armour shares seem common), or you could end up with a chunkier share. My friend got a free Nike share worth around £80!
- You can cash the share in after three days and you’ll be able to send the cash back to your bank account 30 days after you originally received the share
Once you’ve signed up, you’ll get 20 referral links that you can share with friends and family. Each time they sign up, you both get a free share.
Trading 212 is an investment app and I’m not advocating trading. If you decide to, that is, of course, up to you. But regardless, this app is a really easy way to make decent cash. So far I have withdrawn £103.14. That is completely free money.
This app works in a similar way to Trading 212. Your share could be worth up to £200. However, personally, I’ve only had shares worth between £3 and £8 on this app. It’s still free money though, so I would recommend it.
Again, this free money is for UK-based people.
Here’s what to do:
- Email email@example.com to ask for a referral link
- Use the link I send you to open a Freetrade account
- Deposit £1 and wait for your mystery share to appear in your account
- In 7-10 days your free share will hatch and you’ll see what you’ve been awarded. In my experience, the free shares tend to be revealed on a Wednesday
- Sell the share and withdraw the funds
Airtime Rewards is a cashback app where you earn money off your phone bill, just by shopping with partnered retailers, as you usually would.
Once you’ve downloaded and set up the app and set it up (it isn’t difficult), you will passively earn money towards your phone bill. It’s really is that simple. Use my promo code for an additional bonus: YKQDXNCK and read my full review if you’re you’re interested in finding out more about how it works.
I’m not about to suggest that you go out spending in order to earn some reward points. But we all spend money, so it is worth signing up to the loyalty schemes that your favourite shops offer. If you’re going there anyway, then you may as well benefit from the freebies that the store is offering customers. So if, for example, you’re a coffee drinker then you need to sign up to the Costa Coffee app. Once you’ve downloaded it, you’ll get 100 points (worth £1) and then an additional 200 points (worth £2) when you buy your first coffee. The points add up quickly on this app and you can then spend them in Costa Coffee. I know this one isn’t technically ‘free money’, but it is free coffee, which is a pretty damned good alternative if you ask me!
Some times, shops that have loyalty schemes run special promotions which effectively result in free cash. For example, Nectar will occasionally give out free points for opening their app, or spinning a virtual prize wheel. They also give you an annual opportunity to double up to 10,000 points (worth £50 in cash). So you could potentially get £50 in free money by using this promotion to its full advantage. This tends to happen around the end of October and once you’ve done this, you can spend the money on toys, clothes, electricals and homeware. The last double-up promotion ran from Wednesday 28 October-Tuesday November, 2020. So we are predicting that the 2021 event will start on Thursday 28th October, 2021.
Boots also run double-point promotions, but remember, this is only a way of getting free cash if you were buying it anyway.
Cashback sites are another great way of getting free money if you’re based in the UK. You click from your cashback site to an online retailer and then you receive a kickback once you’ve made your purchase. TopCashback is my favourite cashback website. You can find out why here.
With Shoppix you get points for taking pictures of your receipts and those points can be converted into cash or gift vouchers. If you’re interested in doing this, then check out my comprehensive review.
If you’re looking to make some extra cash on the side, then you should consider doing online surveys. You can earn anything from 9p to £15 each time you do this. The work is irregular and you won’t pay your bills just by using survey sites, but it’s definitely worth looking into if you’re after extra cash. Prolific is my favourite.
Some people swear by matched betting and whilst I do think that UK residents can exert free money from using that system, I don’t believe its a risk free pastime, so I wouldn’t personally recommend it. If you do decided to go down that route, then make sure you do your research and check in with yourself regularly to ensure that it’s still working for you.
Is it worth it?
In my opinion, free money is always worth seeking out. Using these hacks can also help you to diversify your income. I’ll update this article as and when I discover other worthwhile ways of snapping up free cash.
If you’re under 18 and you’re looking to make money, then you may find this list of online jobs for teens useful.